DR Poachers ordered to pay fines and go home

first_img Related Items:court, dominicans, fine, poachers Dominican Officials agree to stop sex trafficking, poachers Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Recommended for you Police get wanted man; Magistrate Court back open Laundry detergent thief goes to court, Alleged Ganja dealer arrested Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 29 Jul 2015 – The TCI Prosecutor hopes the Dominicans captured stealing marine product from our waters will find the money to pay their fines and go home. Public Prosecutor Clement Joseph said it is far more costly to TCIG to keep these men in remand for six months; a bill he estimates at $5,000 per day for the 28 men now convicted of poaching. Over the six months, this is a $900,000 cost to house the poachers in the TCI. Magistrate Clifton Warner heard a whale of a tale yesterday from the 28 poachers who say they thought they were in Puerto Plata in the DR. The men, who had been staying at the detention center since the raid last Thursday said their captain lied to them. That captain eluded capture last week; left the 28 men, 14 boats outfitted with 14 Yamaha engines, spear guns, air compressors, hoses and other equipment outlawed in the TCI to face officers on their own. One by one, in court the 28 repeated their sorry tale. Telling Warner they were “betrayed.” The men, in the end plead guilty to all eight charges and were fined $5,400 each; a total of $151,200 in fines. The Magistrate had given them until 4pm to pay those fines. Minister responsible, Porsha Smith called the arrest, “…a proud moment as …these civil servants have shown courage and bravery and deserve our recognition and gratitude.” Smith in the statement issued Tuesday added that, “It is important that all potential violators understand that we will not stand by, while our waters and natural environment be abused. Anyone that insists on malicious efforts similar in kind to these will be caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.” At last check the Dominicans captured in this pilferage were actively trying to raise the money to pay the fine.last_img read more

Millipede trapped in amber for 99 million years gets its moment to

first_img 20 Photos A spider’s erection, and other cool things trapped in amber Tick’s ‘worst day ever’ frozen in amber for 100 million years Tailed spider found in amber will crawl into your nightmares Tags Comments Enlarge ImageThe newly described millipede (Burmanopetalum inexpectatum) stuck in amber. Leif Moritz A tiny millipede stuck in amber has had 99 million years to contemplate its sticky predicament. The itsy insect didn’t live to enjoy its 2019 coming-out party as a scientific curiosity, but the rest of us can marvel at the remarkable specimen.The millipede is trapped in Cretaceous-era amber found in Myanmar. Researchers determined the millipede is the first fossil found from the order Callipodida, but it was strange enough to require a new suborder. It’s now called “Burmanopetalum inexpectatum,” with the latter word meaning “unexpected” in Latin.millipede3dEnlarge ImageThe researchers created this 3D model of the millipede. Leif Moritz The team created a 3D model of the 0.3-inch (8.2-millimeter) millipede to more closely study its anatomy.”With the next-generation micro-computer tomography (micro-CT) and the associated image rendering and processing software, we are now able to reconstruct the whole animal and observe the tiniest morphological traits which are rarely preserved in fossils,” said zoologist Pavel Stoev of the National Museum of Natural History in Bulgaria.Stoev is the lead author of a paper on the millipede published this week in the journal ZooKeys. The Callipodida order of millipedes still exists today, with over 100 species crawling around the planet. This particular fossil was the only one of its order found among over 500 millipede specimens trapped in the same amber deposit.  Paleontologycenter_img Sci-Tech Fossil arthropod expert Greg Edgecombe from the Natural History Museum in London welcomed Burmanopetalum inexpectatum to the club of ancient amber-encased millipedes. “In the past few years, nearly all of the 16 living orders of millipedes have been identified in this 99-million-year-old amber,” Edgecombe said. Congratulations, little millipede, you’re a trailblazing representative for your order. Share your voice 2 Trapped in amberlast_img read more

Ban on Instant Noodles to Shrink Maggis Brand Value by ₹1300 Crore

first_imgBrand value of Maggi is expected to fall by over $200 million or nearly ₹1,300 crore, as a result of a ban on the popular instant noodles by Indian authorities.On 5 June, the food regulator mandated Maggi-maker Nestle India to recall all the available stock in the market following confirmation of harmful levels of lead in the ‘two-minute noodles’.Nestle India is estimated to recall 27,420 tonnes of Maggi noodles, including about 1,422 tonnes of noodles that are at its five factories in the country. Currently, the factories have halted the production of Maggi noodles.Before the ban, Maggi’s brand had a valuation of $2.4 billion and its manufacturer was the 23rd most valuable global food brand. A loss of $50 million in recalling Maggi noodles along with “damaged brand” is estimated to shrink the brand value to $2.2 billion, according to Brand Finance.”Nestlé will have to turn around swiftly to ensure that the Maggi brand can retain its dominance in the Indian market. If not, the Nestlé brand itself could be at risk as the Nestlé logo prominently features on the back of Maggi noodles packaging, making it synonymous with the Maggi brand,” Brand Finance CEO David Haigh told NDTV Profit.Nestle India on Monday estimated the loss in recalling Maggi noodles at ₹320 crore.Nestle India is reportedly using 10,000 trucks to carry over 27,000 tonnes of recalled Maggi noodles to the incineration centres. Destruction of such a huge amount of controversial noodles recalled from over 3.5 million retailers is expected to last for at least 40 days, Livemint reported.A drop in Maggi sales is expected to have a major impact on Nestle India’s performance, as the noodles account for 15 to 20% of the company’s overall revenues. Nestle occupies 60% of share in the instant noodle market in the country.”Sales of Maggi brand have increased by 21 per cent CAGR over the past 10 years (sales contribution rising by 1,100 basis points) but have remained weak over the past two years – a trend that is likely to persist near-term (impacted by rising competition and muted consumer environment),” Barclays told Business Today on 4 June.Shares of Nestle India traded at ₹5,850.00 on Wednesday, down over 17% from ₹7,064.85 on 27 May.last_img read more

Germany France voice cautious hope on Ukraine peace revival process

first_imgGerman foreign minister Heiko Maas attends the weekly cabinet meeting in Berlin, Germany on 6 June 2018. Germany and France voiced cautious optimism Monday that Russia and Ukraine will take steps to revive the long-stalled peace process in the smouldering Ukraine war that has claimed 10,000 lives. Photo: ReutersGermany and France voiced cautious optimism Monday that Russia and Ukraine will take steps to revive the long-stalled peace process in the smouldering Ukraine war that has claimed 10,000 lives.Despite high tensions between Western powers and president Vladimir Putin’s Russia, the four foreign ministers held their first meeting since early last year to revitalise a long ignored truce agreement.After “countless ceasefire violations” in recent months, said the Berlin talks’ host, Germany’s top diplomat Heiko Maas, “it was all the more necessary that we have met again here after 16 months.”Russia and Ukraine had again formally committed to the key tenets of the 2015 Minsk agreement, brokered by Germany and France, he said.”All sides once more voiced support for a lasting ceasefire, including the withdrawal of heavy weapons, the disengagement of troops and demining, and the protection and granting of access to the OSCE Observer Mission,” he said.Russia’s Sergei Lavrov said that “of course we have not been able to solve all the problems related to the implementation of the Minsk agreements to settle the internal Ukrainian crisis, but I believe that this meeting was very useful.”‘Positive dynamic’ Lavrov said both sides had discussed a ‘road map’ for a prisoner exchange of people being held by Kiev and Moscow, reported state news agency RIA Novosti.French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian also saw “a positive dynamic for what I hope will be a peaceful solution”, adding that Paris and Berlin had offered to assist in demining operations.In the long run, he said, “we are ready to work on the parameters of a possible United Nations mission for eastern Ukraine when the implementation of the Minsk agreements will allow it”.Even if the guns were to fall silent, that issue is tricky.While Moscow favours blue-helmet troops only along the frontline, Kiev would want them to also police the Ukraine-Russian border to prevent soldiers and weapons from crossing.Despite the continued bloodshed, the Ukraine conflict has been half-forgotten by the West amid other crises and its own divisions, and as France, Germany and Russia have all been caught up in their own elections over the past year.The UN Security Council last week condemned “continuous violations of the ceasefire” and “the tragic humanitarian situation” on the frontline.In a rare phone call Saturday to prepare for the meeting, Putin and Ukraine’s Petro Poroshenko discussed an “exchange of people being held” by both sides.But given the deepening distrust between the West and Russia, hopes of a diplomatic breakthrough were always low.The conflict began when a 2014 popular Ukrainian uprising ousted a Kremlin-backed president in Kiev and Russia moved to annex the Crimea peninsula, backing insurgents in the former Soviet state.Brussels responded to the territorial grab with stinging economic sanctions, with Moscow retaliating in kind. ‘Severe consequences’ Since then, east-west tensions have spiralled to a new post-Cold War low.The US and European powers have accused Moscow of using hackers and propaganda to sow discord, meddle in elections and back eurosceptics and right-wing populists, as well as ramping up military posturing to threaten eastern European states.Putin, who was re-elected to a fourth term in March, has denied all the charges and argued forcefully that hostile NATO powers are seeking to demonise and weaken Russia.Moscow also accused Kiev of spreading “bizarre” fake news after Ukraine’s secret service last month staged the murder of Russian journalist Arkady Babchenko, claiming it did so to foil a Russian plot on his life.Heightening tensions, Putin on Thursday warned that any military “provocations” during the World Cup football tournament which Russia is hosting, would have “very severe consequences for Ukraine as a state”.Russia’s main goal is the lifting of damaging economic sanctions, a push aided by the rise of sympathetic populist parties in the EU, most recently in Italy.France and Germany agree that any sanctions relief for Russia must be conditional on advances in the Ukraine peace process.last_img read more

Kashmiris queue for twominute phone access

first_imgMembers of the American Muslim community stage a demonstration to protest what they say is the Indian government`s occupation of Jammu and Kashmir, a Muslim-majority state within India, outside the Federal Building in Los Angeles on August 10, 2019. Photo: AFPOutside a guarded government office in Indian Kashmir’s main city, an interminable queue forms every day for a near-priceless opportunity: a two-minute phone call to the outside world.Residents of Srinagar and the Kashmir Valley have been starved of phone and internet use for a week as India snuffs out opposition to its military lockdown in the Himalayan region.Only two mobile phones with an outside line are on offer in the deputy commissioner’s office, but so desperate are people to contact families in the rest of India and overseas that they come from across Srinagar and beyond to wait in line.Under the watchful eye of Indian paramilitaries, the calls and conversations are tightly controlled, and simmering frustrations often boil over.One 56-year-old woman, who had walked miles and was stopped at dozens of checkpoints along the way, became embroiled in an argument with security forces outside the office after she was turned away.”They stopped me from entering because they don’t have a female police of?cer to frisk me,” the dejected woman, who was hoping to call her two children studying abroad, told AFP.”I am worried about my daughters but they would definitely be more worried about us,” she said, declining to be named.In the end, she was left with no choice but to give her childrens’ numbers to a stranger in the queue and plead with him to try and contact them.Silent punishment India deployed tens of thousands of additional troops to back its move last week to strip Muslim-majority Kashmir of its autonomy, and Prime Minister Narendra Modi has not indicated how long the communications blackout and lockdown will last.A crippling curfew has been eased ahead of the Eid al-Adha festival on Monday, but there is still a massive security presence on the streets.The government has issued a few hundred satellite phones to police and top bureaucrats, while dozens of other officials have mobile and landline numbers linked to a private network.The deputy commissioner’s office began offering its mobile service on Thursday.Each day, the queue builds up early and jostling starts when an official emerges from a poorly lit corridor to take the names and numbers to be called in a register.”We are trying to help people to connect with relatives abroad,” the of?cer said on condition of anonymity.He reads out names of the lucky callers and hands over the mobile phone to each one. He also times each call, waving his hands when the 120 seconds are nearly up.Mubashir Hussain’s excitement turned to frustration when his call to a brother in the United States went unanswered.”He must be away from his phone or sleeping. There is a time difference,” the 44-year-old businessman said as he handed back the phone.Back to the ‘stone age’ A three-decade insurgency against Indian rule in Kashmir has left tens of thousands dead, and communication clampdowns are nothing new.According to the Software Freedom Law Center, a New Delhi monitoring group, there have been dozens of internet shutdowns this year alone.But the current restrictions — affecting the mobile network, landlines and cable TVs — are on a different scale.”We are being literally pushed into stone age. Cutting communication is a violation of basic human rights,” said Hussain.Shakeel Ahmad Khan said he had to plead with troops at several checkpoints to let him pass so he could try to contact his elderly parents who have been on the Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia since last month.”I saw my mother in a dream last night and she said they are ?ne,” he said as he waited.last_img

Bengal Chamber collaborates with IAICC to promote SMEs

first_imgKolkata: A MoU was signed between the Bengal Chamber and the Indian American International Chamber of Commerce (IAICC) to provide business advisory services to small and medium enterprises of India and USA.The collaboration aims to facilitate B2B links between American businesses and their Indian counterparts of East and north-east. Subhodip Ghosh, director general, the Bengal Chamber, Ambarish Dasgupta, founder and senior partner, Intueri Consulting LLP, A Mukherjee, senior vice-president, The Bengal Chamber, Patricia Hoffman, Consul General of The United States of America in Kolkata, K V Kumar, chairman and CEO of IAICC and other delegates were present during the MoU signing. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: Mamata”The Bengal Chamber has always been at the forefront to provide platforms for business links irrespective of geographical boundaries and Kumar has served in Trump campaign’s Asian American and Pacific Islander Advisory Council. Being an authority on government relations, alliance building, crisis management and his long association with the World Bank, his visit would be integral for forging business developments between America and India. We have signed an MoU with IAICC to create a joint council to offer services to stake holders in form of B2B links and advisory services for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Whenever, a delegation would come from the US, Kolkata would be a stopover,” said Subhodip Ghosh, director general, The Bengal Chamber. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateKV Kumar said: “The IAICC is seeking to open offices in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Dubai, Hong Kong and 30 chapters in the US itself. We are looking forward to creative and innovative ways of doing business. There are about 600,000 Indian-American businesses in the US. West Bengal being strategically placed is ideal to act as a gateway to accessing markets in the ASEAN countries. At present, we are working in four states in India where each state has made a Chamber of Commerce a platform to create business links. We are putting up an innovative challenge — a new platform for doing business, which is part virtual and part real, where businesses are initiated through virtual media between traders, buyers, sellers establishing B2B links that later involves personal meet ups and visits to check products or services. We are going to invite Amit Mitra, West Bengal state minister of Finance and IT, and Electronics, Industry, Commerce, Enterprise and E-governance and MSME to USA on August 30 to attend a business forum where the innovative ideas would be introduced.” The IAICC works with entrepreneurs, professionals, businesses and governments to develop entrepreneurship and commerce through mentor-protégé programmes, training, seminars and networking opportunities.last_img read more

The Ukrainian Media Group has launched trial versi

first_imgThe Ukrainian Media Group has launched trial versions of film channel Kinotochka and drama channel NLO-TV.The company has struck a deal with national digital TV network Zeonbud for both channels. Kinotochka airs movies, series and documentary feature films, while NLO-TV airs mostly mystery dramas.However, the company will not be launching the news channel Novosti after it was refused a national licence. “We are not planning to develop the Novosti channel, as we did not receive the licence [for national digital broadcasting],” the group’s director-general Fedir Oharkov told local press.last_img

AE Networks is to launch a Vicebranded channel n

first_imgA+E Networks is to launch a Vice-branded channel next year, according to a report in the New York Post. A+E holds a 10% in the millennial-focused media group.According to the Post, citing ad agency sources, the channel will focus on lifestyle content. Under a previous four-year agreement set to kick off in the fourth quarter of this year, Vice news content is to be aired by HBO.According to the report, Vice will replace the H2 channel in the US.last_img